Detective Mike Brackett has over 35 years of law enforcement experience with over 24 years in narcotics interdiction. He started with the Louisville Division of Police in 1977 in Louisville, Kentucky serving in the patrol division. He was transferred to the Narcotics Unit early in 1984, where he served until 2002, retiring with over 24 years of service. He has worked undercover, investigating major narcotics traffickers and parcel interdiction. He was also a founding member of Louisville first Parcel Interdiction Team that was formed in 1988. Retirement was short lived when he was hired by the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office a month later and returned to the narcotics unit. Mike has served with several DEA task forces, he has also received numerous awards and citations including Officer of the Year, Airport Interdiction Unit of the Year, EPIC Officer of the Year and Kentucky Deputy of the Year. He is the Secretary of the Kentucky Narcotics Officers Association (KNOA) and President of the International Narcotics Interdiction Association (INIA).
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Class: K-9 Parcel Interdiction
The presentation will outline the characteristics and indicators common to parcels containing illegal narcotics. The course outlines methods utilized to assist the officer in developing partnerships with the main parcel companies to identify violators who use private carriers to facilitate narcotic and currency trafficking. The instruction includes case law issues, investigative techniques and safety issues to be concerned within working parcel interdiction. The course will also detail methods of conducting controlled deliveries of parcels.
- Understand the mission of a Parcel Narcotics Interdiction Program
- Understand how to initiate a Parcel Narcotics Interdiction Program
- Cooperation with Parcel Company Management and Staff
- Review indicators and characteristics utilized by drug traffickers using parcels to ship drugs and currency
- Gain knowledge of drug smuggling trends and methods
- Understanding officer safety methods, in regard to conducting controlled deliveries
- Review of case law concerning drug parcel interdiction.